SECTION27 is named after section 27 of the South African Constitution, which lies at the heart of our supreme law’s commitment to socio-economic rights and was established in May 2010. It incorporates the AIDS Law Project, one of South Africa’s most successful post-apartheid human rights organisations. SECTION27 is a public interest law centre that seeks to influence, develop and use the law to protect, promote and advance human rights.
From the Foreword to the Third Edition
National Health Act Guide, now in its third edition, is an invaluable resource for government, health care workers, health service users, academics, students and civil society. The Guide contains not only the Act itself but also detailed analysis and commentary, including links to and explanations of related legislation, regulations and policy. The Guide also contains an up-to-date list of contact details for all health departments in the country.
The National Health Act Guide focuses on what all of us can do to improve health in South Africa: from participation in clinic committees and hospital boards, to becoming organ donors, to taking part in the budget- and policy-making process.
Government has a huge responsibility to provide health care services and to regulate the private sector, but it cannot operate alone. Civil society and individuals must speak up and government must listen, to ensure that we have a health care system that serves all the people of South Africa.
At a time of great policy shifts and a struggling health care system, which is both public and private, I welcome the publication of the third edition of The National Health Act Guide. I encourage everyone with an interest in health to use the Guide and to become an activist for positive change in our health care system. This publication must be on every policy maker’s table, on every manager’s desk, in every health worker’s pocket, and in every student’s bag.
Malebona Precious Matsoso
Director-General of the National Department of Health
Table of Contents
1. National Health Act 61 of 2003
2. Rights and Duties of Users and Health Care Personnel
3. National Health
4. Provincial Health
5. District Health System
6. Health Establishments
7. Human Resources planning and Academic Health Complexes
8. Control of Use of Blood, Blood Products, Tissue and Gametes in Humans
9. National Health Research and Information
10. Office of Health Standards Compliance, Board, Inspections and Environmental Health Investigations, Health Officers and Inspectors, Complaints and Appeal Procedure
12. General Provisions
Appendix A: Regulations under the National Health Act
Appendix B: Other Health Legislation
Appendix C: Policy Documents & Guidelines
Appendix D: Contact Details
• Editor: Sasha Stevenson
• Title: The National Health Act – A Guide Second Edition
• ISBN print edition: 978-1-928309-26-0
• ISBN ebook edition: 978-1-928309-27-7
• Page extent: xiv + 194
• Price: R120
• Publication Date: May 2019
• Publishing House: Siber Ink
• Health officials
• Human rights activists
• Community health workers & activists
• Health Brokers
• Doctors, nurses & clinics
• Public Health personnel at local, provincial & government level
• Programme implementers
• Civil servants
• Students of law, medicine & public health